Last month was “Suicide Prevention Month”, and I would like to take the time to discuss that it is OK to reach out and get help.

Many students are afraid to get help because they don’t know were to start, but we all have to start from the beginning of something, find the root of the problem, and help that student or adult get through the difficulty that they are experiencing.

The No. 10 leading cause of death in American is suicide, for people ages between 15-85, and for those born between the years 2000 and 2016 have been increasing and this is due to several things.

Whether it’s depression, family issues or financial difficulties, I want everyone who is reading to message a loved one or a friend and check on them.

We have counselors here on Hutchinson Community College campus that will keep your information private and safe, so no one will know about what you are going through unless you tell anyone else about it.

I only recommend telling a close friend, or a family member, that you are close as well and see if they can help you. Your life matters, and I am not saying this for anyone who is struggling or is wanting to hear this, but I mean it – your life matters.

All the stresses that are happening right now may not end, but it is temporary and it will take some time to get past it. I believe in you, and I know you can do it. Giving up is not the answer, and I need you to get back up and over come this.

I know it’s not easy, but I believe in you and that you can get through it.

My major is psychology, and I have to ensure that my friends are OK, and that they don’t plan on doing anything to harm themselves. If they do, then I have to let their parent know so they can get the help they need.

If they refuse, then I would have to monitor them throughout the entire night to ensure that they will be OK.

The suicide number is 1-800-273-8255 and I urge anyone who is struggling to call this or talk with a loved one.

I am very happy that you are alive and push yourself everyday.

Pablo Sanchez is a Hutchinson freshman studying psychology