By Amanda Carney
Co-Sports Editor

On Friday, the Hutchinson Community College volleyball team travelled to Texas, where the Blue Dragons played four matches in two days. The Blue Dragons were smoked by Blinn College 25-21, 25-20, 25-19 in the first match. The Blue Dragons then won match two against Hill College 14-25, 25-19, 25-22, 27-25, making the Dragons 1-1 in the tournament.

Saturday, the Blue Dragons started the day off with a four-set win against North Central Texas, winning the first two sets and the fourth set, 25-13, 25-20, 20-25, 25-21.

The Blue Dragons then went on to play Monroe College going into yet another five-set match. The Dragons managed to beat the Mustangs 21-25, 25-23, 25-27, 25-22, 16-14.

Football –Hutchinson faced one of the three teams unbeaten in the Jayhawk Conference league Saturday at BG Products Stadium.

Defensively, the Blue Dragons made scoring nearly impossible for Butler Community College until the fourth quarter. The No. 7 Blue Dragons added another victory against No. 12 Butler, 27-13.

The defense was key for the Blue Dragons, allowing only 29 total yards and negative-five rushing yards. The Blue Dragons only allowed 189 yards and forced Butler to punt on the first 10 possessions.

Defensive lineman Clarence Hicks had a total of five tackles, four of those tackles for loss. Kelvin Clemmons had a total of three of Hutch’s seven deflected passes.

Offensively, the Blue Dragons totaled 416 yards with 176 yards on the ground. Freshman Khalil McClain caught six passes for 111 yards and one touchdown. Mason Schucker, the Blue Dragon quarterback completed 19 of 33 passing for 241 yards. Sophomore Dezmon Jackson ran for a totally of 108 yards with 18 carries and a touchdown.

Hutchinson will host Highland at noon this Saturday at Gowans Stadium.

Soccer – The women’s soccer team posted another win Saturday against Northwest Kansas Tech at the Salthawk Sports Complex, 7-0.

The Blue Dragons’ win moves them to 8-1-1 overall and 6-1-1 in the Jayhawk West.

Sophomore Brailey Moeder started the domination against Northwest Tech with a goal not even two minutes into the game, assist from freshman Naomi Waithira. Freshman Angela Rader followed with her first goal of the season, with another assist from Waithira. Addi White, Ashley Venegas and Amy Turner also scored the first half, as the Blue Dragons led at half 5-0. Sydney Blackwell, Kaitlyn Sabala and Waithira had assist on the last three goals of the half.

Golf – The No. 10-ranked men’s golf team shot a 302 on Tuesday, moving up one during the final round and finishing 11th in the 54-hole tournament.

Hutchinson had round of 303, 307, 302 over the three days.

Freshman Charlie Crockett had his sixth under-par round with a 1-under 71. Crockett finished as the low for Hutchinson at 8-over 224. Following behind him was Charlie Herbert shooting a 228.

Peyton Austin and Nathan McCulloch both had 79s. Austin tied for 44th at 230 and McCulloch tied for 47th at 231.