By Emily Fehrman
Social Media Editor

When you think about cafeteria food often times nothing good comes to mind.

You think back to high school and how terrible the food could be. For some it doesn’t get any better in college.

Cafeterias can be known for the lack of options and lack of healthy food. Three Hutchinson Community College students who live in the dorms were asked what they thought about the food that HutchCC is serving its students and staff.

DJ Mitchell, a sophomore from Washington was asked how many times he eats at the cafeteria compared to fast food. Mitchell said he eats the cafeteria food for almost every meal but that he does eat fast food roughly once a week.

He also has a lot of microwavable food back at his dorm that he eats for meals also. After asking if he actually enjoyed the food served at HutchCC, Mitchell said, “Not really, but I suck it up and eat it.”

The second student was Hannah Hoheisel, a freshman from Garden Plain. Hoheisel splits her time at the cafeteria with how much she eats out, roughly three times a week at both. She said that she would eat there more if there were more options for healthier foods. Hoheisel then said “there needs to be more vegetable options, more fresh fruit. The food makes me feel gross.”

She also said eating at the cafeteria feels awkward when she is alone, and that is why she prefers to eat downstairs in the Parker Student Union at the Blue Dragons Grill. The one good thing about the cafeteria Hoheisel said is that you can eat as much of it as you want.

The last student was Chiani Pearce, Atwood freshman. Pearce eats the cafeteria food five times a week, twice a day. But she also eats out five times a week, mainly because there are not any fast food places back home for her to eat at.

Pearce does buy a lot of groceries at Aldi, she said “Everybody goes to Aldi because it’s so cheap.”

Pearce then goes on to say, “It has nothing to do with the cafeteria, I like that there is so many options.”

However, she said she would not complain if there was more fruits and vegetables available.

The conscious seems to be that the cafeteria food is not terrible but that it has a lot of improvements to be made.