By Merissa Anderson
Collegian Editor

The Hutchinson Collegian, over the course of the last two years that I have served on the staff, has changed massively, but not without the help and encouragement from our readers like you.

Coming into this new school year, The Collegian staff was, except for me, entirely new. Over the summer, I was so, so afraid that our newspaper would cease to exist without a staff or advisor but, not only did we survive, we thrived with our new brand new staff, most straight out of high school and our amazing advisor, Brad Hallier.

We want to thank our readers for picking up our papers, for the encouraging comments and for working with us when we pursue a story. Producing a weekly paper with a largely volunteer staff has not always been easy, but it always got done, and we have been continually proud of what we call our ‘weekly miracle’.

Next year, in a more fortunate turn of events for her, Brenna Eller will become editor of The Collegian, and many more current members of our staff will be returning, along with the many new students who have enrolled so far.

In addition to being a campus newspaper, we are a class. Behind these pages are students working to deliver what we believe to be important campus information and learning, sometimes for the first time, how to produce a proper story and design a page.

But our staff certainly did something right with our new education, collectively we brought home multiple awards of which we couldn’t be prouder.

But, without our paper boxes emptying out week after week, truly the newspaper would cease to exist.

So continue reading your college newspaper, tell our new staffers next year how well they’re doing, and feel free to provide recommendations and story ideas, of any kind. Encourage your fellow students or staff members to become a regular reader, and follow The Collegian social media.

The continued support of our readers means that some new journalism student will perhaps gain a larger passion for the career and continue to pursue journalism for a lifetime.