By Merissa Anderson
Collegian Editor

Following the recent involvement of the RASK Force (Random Acts of Selfless Kindness) on campus, Leanna Coon, Writing Paraprofessional at Rimmer Learning and Resource Center, along with Desiree Coon, IT Support Analyst, have worked together to hand crochet and hide tiny stuffed animals known as amigurumi.

Since the idea came about in February, the pair has hidden five amigurumi and hope to continue the event weekly.

“Desiree had the idea to put out little critters for RASK because it would be a way to cheer people up, and market Rimmer by tying it to Facebook.” Leanna Coon said. “We have clues posted before we hide each amigurumi with a note that has the website address so that people can post their photos and share them with us online.”

One such found amigurumi was a cat that was picked up by an anonymous passerby and then passed around campus before coming back into the hands of Hannah Gomez, a front desk writing tutor at RLRC.

“It wasn’t originally found by me, but it was passed around to me after traveling campus,” Gomez said. “It was so squishy, and it brought me a lot of joy to look at how cute it was.”

Included on the amigurumi is a note with a happy quote and instructions on how to post their find on the the Rimmer Facebook page, Hutch CC Rimmer Services.

A faculty member’s young daughter, upon hearing about the amigurumi scavenger hunt, used the posted clues to seek out a crocheted Ariel hiding in the ocean section of the library.

Shortly after, her smiling face was posted and the amigurumi’s purpose was fulfilled.

“I think (the amigurumis) and RASK is a good idea to make people more mindful of others’ feelings, and just make their day a little better.” Leanna Coon said. “I like knowing that it’s going to cheer somebody up and having a little project that I can complete relatively quickly.”

Depending on the size of the amigurumi, it can take between a few hours to several days to complete one for the scavenger hunt that is free and available to all students on Wednesdays.