My CSI Experience

On Sunday, March 4, I was at home in Little River when I had one of the weirdest experiences ever. I thought I had found a dead body.

I was taking photos for my Monday night Basic Photography class, and knew of some areas outside of Little River that had high potential for my Rules of Thirds project.

It was after church that I decided to go out for a walk in the refreshing spring-like weather with my mom. We went down to an old path that I used to walk almost daily in the summertime.

As we were walking through, my mom noticed another path in the trees. Since there are still no leaves on the trees, you could see everything. I’d never seen completely through the trees before.

So we walked along the mowed path and ended up at this really old beaten up car. At first I was just bewildered because I had never seen the car in the many times I had travelled along this area.

I was taking pictures and lined the focus on the graph lines in my camera. Walking around to the left side of the rustic four-door, I saw something in the back seat.

There was a long vertebrae with some other small bones around it. I was stunned into silence thinking about the possibility of a murder or missing person. The ribs were a little off, so it didn’t exactly look human. A lot of people hunt where I’m from, so my mom and I weren’t jumping to any conclusions.

I came to school and showed my classmates the picture of the bones in the backseat. One of them told me I needed to report it.

In Little River, some people just like to mess with others. My mom had asked people who live near the trail if they had seen the car. The man she asked said that it probably belonged to his neighbor who likes practical joking or just left an animal in there.

In the meantime, my best friend and I went back on Tuesday to investigate further. It was super windy out, causing my car to shake on the highway. When we got to the scene of the crime, we carefully opened the door like I should have the first time. She used one foot to press on the handle while I pulled it back with my foot. After looking over everything, and since her dad is a vet that works with big animals, she has seen some bones and animal parts. We concluded that it was indeed not a body.

I was half relieved that I didn’t need to make a huge deal of this and alarm the police for no reason, half disappointed because it would be pretty cool to be the one to discover a body.

On the bright side, my friend and I decided we needed a day to just be girls and shop. We took the long way back to Hutch, which was going through McPherson to kill some time. So we went to a couple of retail stores and then headed to Applebee’s for supper. Overall it wasn’t too bad of a time.

Brenna Eller is a Little River freshman in journalism