By Brenna Eller
Opinion Page Editor

Allison Schweizer became editor of “The Tulgey Wood” last year as a Hutchinson Community College freshmen. “The Tulgey Wood” is HutchCC’s literary magazine used to display student photography, poems, fiction/ non-fiction work, and art. Someone suggested her to be editor to her English teacher, Dan Pohl. He saw her talent and hard work, and selected her to be editor.

Schweizer, a Sterling native, stayed as editor again this year, but got to choose a freshmen co-editor, Hannah Knoche, Abbeyville, to train.

“I have had fun reading and looking through the submissions and getting to pick and choose what is best to include in ‘The Tulgey Wood’,” Schweizer.said.

When she isn’t going through submissions, Schweizer is hanging up posters, reminding English teachers, and spreading the word about “The Tulgey Wood”.

A lot of work is put into this magazine, and it is time consuming right before the deadline, according to Schweizer.

“I don’t have hardly any submissions in yet so please send stuff my way,” she said.

Schweizer also mentioned that once she gets submissions, her job is fairly easy. She then just has to lay out the picks and design for print.

Aside from the annual magazine, Schweizer is on “Dragon’s Tale”, the college magazine, takes pictures for HutchCC Sports Information, and has her own photography business – Allison Schweizer Photography – four years running.

“My favorite is senior photography, however I also do family, engagement, wedding and more,” Schweizer said. “When I am not working, I am usually out taking pictures for fun.”

On “Dragon’s Tale”, she writes, takes photos and designs which takes up hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Some of her sports pictures are even used in The Collegian. She is also taking 19 credit hours this semester.

When asked about her busy schedule, Schweizer said, “I have a lot on my plate and it definitely keeps me on my toes, however, I think I am able to manage everything because I love what I do. I love photography and being able to work for the “Dragons Tale”, help out with The Collegian, and take pictures for Sports Information.”