By Lucas Barlow
Sports Editor

For their third indoor meet of the season, the Hutchinson Community College track team traveled to Crete, Nebraska this past weekend.

Defending national champion, Adriana Janic, qualified for nationals, where she will be able to defend her title in the 60-meter hurdles. With a time of 9.06 seconds, she is the eighth fastest in the country at the moment, and is the fourth HutchCC athlete to qualify for nationals this season.
Sophomore Maggie Lambert finished third in the one-mile run with a time 5:41.6 and close behind her was Aileen Gomez who finished fifth with a time of 5:45.09. Freshman 1,000-meter runner, Sarah Patterson, set a personal record of 3:15.34 which is sixth in Blue Dragon history. Freshman Tatyana Hopkins placed third overall in the 60 with a time of 7.96. Caitlin Schlickau (2:35.01) and Hannah Schultz (2:37.36), a pair of freshman, also placed top five in the 800.

The men’s side was highlighted by freshman Richard Newman, who tied the school record in the high jump. He jumped 7 feet, one-half inch, en route to a victory in the event. Newman joins Tom Floyd, who jumped the same height in 1994, as the record’s co-owners. He is also the second-ranked high jumper in the country.

Freshman, Myles Hansen cleared 14-7 1/4 to place seventh in pole vault, and qualified as well  for nationals with that jump. Sophomore sprinter, Kadrin Williams also earned a ticket to nationals with a 22.37 in the 200. The 60 and 200 were dominated by the Blue Dragons as they placed in the top three spots in both events. The final of event of the night was won by the HutchCC 1,600 relay team consisting of Fred Gonsalvies, Donovan Whitmore, Denilson Whitmore and Elijah Smith. They will get to compete in nationals with their qualifying time of 3:21.66. The men’s team is currently ranked no. 15 in the nation.

This weekend’s meet will be in two different locations. Half of the team will travel to Pittsburg for the Gorilla Relays and the other half will go back to Highland to compete in the Highland Invitational.