By Brenna Eller
Opinion Page Editor

Every year, my family would take a trip to see my grandparents in Atwood.

It’s a good four-hour drive from Little River. We don’t go very often anymore because our grandparents moved to Little River, but Atwood is still one of my favorite places to visit.

One Christmas, I believe I was about 7-years old, I went to a friend’s birthday party after our YMCA basketball game. I ended up staying the night there and the next morning my family was planning on going to Atwood.

My dad stayed home this time, so my mom came and picked me up with my three sisters. On the way, my younger sister and I had our usual fights about not having enough room in our family’s mini-van and about staying on our own sides of the seats.

Four agonizing hours later, we finally spotted the tell-tale plants and hills of Atwood, we all got excited.
The whole way, I had been trying not to itch my head because it had been bothering me that entire time. I told my mom, but she didn’t think there was anything to worry about.

When we got to our grandparents’ house we noticed that their lights were all off and their car was gone. My mom decided to call them and we found out that they were actually in Texas seeing some family members.
So we saw some other family in Atwood, since my family is originally from there. My mom has a lot of friends there too so we still had plenty to do even though our grandparents were gone.

So, what is the unfortunate event you ask? WelI, I was sitting at the dining room table itching my head again, what seemed like the millionth time. This time it was a horrible feeling like something was crawling around on my head. I put my fingers to my scalp and at the same place I was going to scratch, I touched a little bug. I pulled it out and looked at it in disbelief.

My mom came in after hearing me scream. She asked, “What’s wrong?” And I just told her to look on my head. She did and she started yelling too.

After combing through my hair and putting any kind of solution she could find in it to drown the disgusting creatures, we finally killed all of the lice.

We disinfected the entire house, washed any blankets, sheets, and stuffed animals we could find, and then went on with the rest of our trip paranoid.

On the bright side, I haven’t had lice since then. Hopefully I will never have to go through that again.