By Lucas Barlow
Sports Editor
The Hutchinson Community College football team’s regular season came to a close as the Blue Dragons cruised to a 27-6 win over Dodge City Community College on Saturday.
The Blue Dragons snapped their three-game losing streak, finishing 7-4 overall and 4-3 in the Jayhawk Conference. The Conquistadors finish 4-7 and 1-6.
After leading by seven late in the first half, the Blue Dragons pulled off one impressive play to head into halftime. Dodge City lined up for a 24-yard field goal when Hutchinson blocked the kick. The play wasn’t over however, because Hutchinson’s Jerry Jacobs picked up the loose ball, and took it back for a 86-yard touchdown. The Blue Dragons led 13-0 at halftime, and they didn’t slow down in the second half.
Hutchinson used an interception, a goal line stop, and a punt return for a touchdown to secure the victory over the Conquistadors.
The Blue Dragon defense held Dodge City to 237 total yards and 51 rushing, but Hutchinson compiled only 206 total yards for themselves. Three running backs, B.J. Emmons, Dezmon Jackson, and Andrew Lee split Hutchinson’s 125 rushing yards. Quarterback Eric Forrest went 12 of 16 on passing attempts, for a total of 69 yards.
Sunday’s win marked Rion Rhoades’ 80th victory as head coach for the Blue Dragons. He also reached this mark faster than any other coach in Hutchinson Community College history.
Next up for the Blue Dragons will be the Salt City Bowl on Dec. 2. They will face the Eastern Arizona Gila Monsters at Gowans Stadium. This will be the second meeting between the two teams, playing each other last in the 2010 Salt City Bowl.