By Jack Greenwood
Staff writer
The Hutchinson Community College Theatre department’s second production hits the stage next week.
This time, Oscar Wilde’s famous comedy, “The Importance of Being Earnest”, is brought to life. The show follows a man named Jack Worthing, who leads a double life as “Earnest” in order that he may marry the love of his life, Gwendolen.
The play also sees another man of the name Algernon, who invents a dreadful invalid friend named “Bunbury” and attempts to hijack Jack’s fictional life, in order that he may pursue his own desires.
The show also explores Jack’s mysterious past, as he reveals he was adopted and doesn’t actually know he is by birth. All while this is happening, the ever demanding Lady Bracknell attempts to keep things proper and in order.
The show is considered to be one of the best farcical comedies of all time and displays a plethora of wild and vibrant characters. The productions director, Kurt Edwards, discusses with his actors how each character has a “mask”, or a front, that they put on in order to obtain an objective.
This is the first show Edwards has done with HutchCC, but brings a long resume of theatre credits to the department.
The show will run Nov. 9-11 in BJ Warner Recital Hall, located in Stringer Fine Arts. HutchCC students and staff can get in free with their school IDs.