HutchCC, as amazing as this school and its athletics are, has a student spirit problem.

It’s been mentioned around campus and pointed out by various visitors that drop by games expect more hype from the student section.

When asking various students for their input for the campus beat, several students, not included in this week’s edition, had absolutely no clue that HutchCC even had a homecoming.

At games, the pep band does a great job with cheering, screaming and supporting the team, but the student section lacks that same school spirit.

Maybe if the pep band was moved closer to the students and was no longer outcasted to the very outskirts of the bleachers. That way, peppiness would spread to the rest of the students in attendance.

A large portion of HutchCC’s students aren’t even on campus to share in the school spirit, but that doesn’t leave those who do show up to games with an excuse to not make the bleachers shake beneath their feet with chants and cheers.
What happened to the pep sections seen at high school games? Did that spirit die when everyone left and came to college? Are students scared to show rowdiness amongst their peers now?

On a flip side of the coin, the cheerleaders and Dragon Dolls have amazing school spirit. Those gals and guys spend game after game cheering to the crowd and team all while facing the cold that is inevitable with games continuing later into the year.

Hopefully students start getting more pride for HutchCC during basketball season, because the volleyball players have been a bit disappointed in the turnout of their recent home games. When they hear cheering of the crowd it motivates them, so it’s important to show team spirit.

Views: 56