By Angela Lingg

Child abuse—those two words can make anyone’s blood boil with anger and their heart break with sadness. The smallest most innocent member of our societies are to be protected and nurtured.

The College of Pediatricians recently published a controversial statement, written by several medical doctors, to educators and legislators to “reject all policies that condition children to accept as normal a life of chemical and surgical impersonation of the opposite sex.”

The letter gave eight points and likened gender reclassification, or transgenderism, to child abuse.

The letter pointed out that “Human sexuality is an objective biological binary trait: “XY” and “XX” are genetic markers of health – not genetic markers of a disorder. The norm for human design is to be conceived either male or female.”

The letter goes on to say that puberty-blocking hormones can be dangerous and can inhibit growth and fertility in previously biologically healthy children.

The letter said in Point 2, “People who identify as ‘feeling like the opposite sex’ or ‘somewhere in between’ do not comprise a third sex. They remain biological men or biological women.” Therefore, despite all the different labels, transgender, asexual, gay, lesbian, or whatever, all children are still either male or female.

Point 3: “A person’s belief that he or she is something they are not is, at best, a sign of confused thinking… These children suffer from gender dysphoria. Gender dysphoria (GD)… is a recognized mental disorder.”

Point 5 contributed to point three in pointing out that as many as 98% of gender-confused boys and 88% of gender-confused girls eventually accept their biological sex after naturally passing through puberty.

Point 7 said rates of suicide are 20 times greater among adults who use cross-sex hormones and undergo sex reassignment surgery.

“What compassionate and reasonable person would condemn young children to this fate knowing that after puberty as many as 88% of girls and 98% of boys will eventually accept reality and achieve a state of mental and physical health,” the letter asked.

It listed several health risks from cross-sex hormones such as high blood pressure, blood clots, strokes, and cancer.

The last point said, “Conditioning children into believing that a lifetime of chemical and surgical impersonation of the opposite sex is normal and healthful is child abuse.”

Education and legal policies that endorse gender discordance will be harmful for both children who struggle with gender dysphoria and for those that don’t, the letter said.

Children are learning, growing, testing, exploring, and developing. Lots of little girls wish at some point that she was a boy. I know I did.

Just because children feel one way, at some point in their childhood, means nothing.

Drugs, hormones, and even telling a child they are a member of the opposite sex will only lead to psychological harm and biological harm.