By Angela Lingg

Bailey Terry/Collegian - Isaac Rodriguez, Salina, and Stein Desir, Palm Beach, Florida, stretch out before beginning track practice on March 17 at Gowan’s Stadium. With temperatures in the 60’s, it was a perfect day for all events. Athletes could work hard without overheating.

The Blue Dragons men’s and women’s track and field team competed at the Southwestern Invitational in Winfield, on March 10.

This was the first outdoor meet for the team.

Karis Parker, Wichita, who holds the indoor 60-meter hurdles record, won the 100-meter hurdles in 14.81 seconds.

Alex Keller, Buhler, finished in third place in both the long jump and the triple jump.

She jumped 17 feet 11 inches in the long jump and 36 feet in the triple jump.

Paige Houston, Midwest City, Oklahoma, finished in second place in the women’s shot put with a throw of 43 feet 10 inches.

Kylie James, Manhattan, finished in fifth place in discus with a throw of 123 feet nine inches.

Morgan Ash, White City, finished in fourth place in the women’s javelin with a throw of 121 feet one inch.

Alyssa DeLeon, Harlingen, Texas, finished in fifth place in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of one minute seven seconds.

Daisha Terry, Macon, Georgia, placed second in the high jump with a jump of five feet three inches.

Shaquellra Collins, Houston, Texas, finished in fourth place in the 400-meters in 58.57 seconds.

On the men’s side, Wesley Chaney, Hutchinson, finished second in the 100-meter dash with a time of 10.85 seconds.

Chaney also won the long jump and the triple jump.

He jumped 23 feet four inches in the long jump and 46 feet and two inches in the triple jump.

Orser Rodriguez, Harlingen, Texas, finished in sixth place in the 1500-meters in four minutes and nine seconds.

Stein Desir, Palm Beach, Florida, won the men’s 110-meter hurdles in 15.03 seconds.

Desir also finished second in the men’s 400-meter hurdles with a time of 53.17 seconds.

Forest Dreyer, Salina, won the men’s 3000-meter steeplechase in 10 minutes 15 seconds.

Eli Miller, Wamego, finished second in the discus with a throw of 144 feet three inches.

Dallas Thompson, Madison, finished second in the hammer with a throw of 153 feet seven inches.

Chris Allen, Fort Scott, won the javelin with a throw of 189 feet seven inches.

Anthony Cisneros, Gardner, finished fourth in javelin with a throw of 169 feet six inches.

The track team’s next meet will be their home meet, The Hutch Night Relays, on Saturday, April 4, at Gowan’s Stadium.