By Bailey Terry
Taryn Gillespie/Collegian - Pitcher Tori Caruthers, Lampasas Texas pitches a strike during the second game of the double header against Coffeyville during a home game on April 8. Caruthers pitched the majority of that game.
The Blue Dragon softball team faced Labette at home on April 9.

After a 12-game win streak, Hutch split the doubleheader.

The scores were 3-1, with Hutch losing in the first game.

In the second game the score was 9-1, with the Dragons finishing the game in five innings due to the run rule.

Hutch’s record is now 27-5 overall and 13-3 in their conference.

In the first game, the Dragons didn’t score until the third inning, but their opponents scored a run in the first inning.

By the time the third inning passed, the score was 3-1, with the Dragons behind by two runs.

The game ended very slowly, with neither team scoring in the final four innings.

Only two Hutch players that were able to get a hit off and they were Hannah Danielson, Edmond, Oklahoma, and Kelcee Thompson, Springdale, Arkansas.

Also in the first game, Holly Kelley, Cypress, Texas, ended with 12 strikeouts and two errors.

Hutch lost the game 3-1.

In the second game of the doubleheader, the Dragons went from only getting two hits to hitting the ball 13 times.

They finished in five innings, due to the run rule.

The top hitter for the Dragons was Sarah Hernandez, Chanute, who had three hits.

In the first inning, Labette scored a run and stopped the Dragons from scoring, but in the second inning, the Dragons answered with a run of their own.

In the final four innings, Labette wasn’t able to score a single run, but Hutch was on a roll.

The Dragons scored three runs in the third, five runs in the fourth, but were unable to score in the fifth.

The Dragons won the game 9-1 in five innings.

Over the last week, the Dragons beat several teams in both games of doubleheaders.

Those teams were Hesston College, Allen, Neosho County, Independence, and Coffeyville.

The Dragons are scheduled to play a doubleheader against Johnson County in Olathe on Friday, April 15, with fair weather predicted.

They are also in action in another doubleheader against Fort Scott at their place on Saturday, April 16, with a chance of storms in the forecast.

On Friday, the games start at 2 p.m.

The Saturday games start at 1 p.m.