By Lariena Nokes

Breaking away from campus for a nice lunch is a fine way to reward yourself for jobs well done.

Hutchinson has a wonderful new restaurant well suited for just such outings. Oliver’s Beef & Brew at 925 East 30th is open for business and serving amazing food.

Dropping in for a late lunch, I was greeted by a friendly hostess who seated me quickly.

If you are familiar with Oliver’s from their previous bistros, then you know you can expect quality.

I had a cafe-style table in the poolroom and an attentive waiter who always had a smile.

My coffee was served steaming and hot with a small glass full of cool fresh cream.

I started my meal ordering from the appetizers menu. The “Dirty Nachos” with no peppers arrived on an oval platter. The pile of homemade flour tortilla chips was covered in a savory beef sauce, crispy bacon pieces, cheese, diced onions, and sour cream.

On Wednesday there were two lunch specials: One was meatloaf and the other was chicken fried steak. I chose the chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and corn. The steak was large and delicious, the mashed potatoes were clearly real, not powdered. The corn was great.

For desert I tried the cheesecake with caramel sauce on the side.

All of the deserts are made in house. It was a luxurious treat — by far the best research I have every done for any college project.

The outdoor patio looks like a comfortable place to enjoy a meal or drinks.

On Thursday I interviewed the owners, Amanda and Shad Byard, of Hutchinson, about their restaurant.

Oliver’s Beef & Brew has grown and changed over the years, becoming a favorite of many locals in Hutchinson.

“I miss the bait shop,” Shad Byard quipped, talking about the dual business they once had on East 4th.

“There have been a lot of positive changes,” Amanda Byard said.

The mood of a place can draw in guests. How do they describe the theme of their restaurant?

“Sports bar, with a very friendly atmosphere,” Shad said.

“It is a laid-back, friendly, family place with great food,” Amanda said.

The restaurant sits in a huge lot.

“Parking is easy for customers here,” Shad said.

“The new group of people we have met here are great,” Amanda said.

Clearly the established customers now have room to share their favorite spot with new friends.

“We opened the week of the JuCo tourney and met a lot of wonderful people from out of town,” Shad said.

As I was leaving, a kitchen employee went outside to get smoked wings from the outdoor smoker.

They were beautiful and their fragrance made me want to go right back in and order some.

If you have experience in the food service business, Oliver’s is hiring.

Catering for parties of any size is available.

Details can be obtained by contacting Oliver’s well in advance of your important event.