By Ethan Ball

According to a November 2013 study by CareerBuilder, nearly one-third, or 31 percent of college-educated American workers ages 35 and older are never employed within their degree field.

Tens of thousands of dollars later, multiple hours of devotion, countless hours of sitting in a classroom and you’re finally in the workforce with no passion or no future in the career you just obtained a degree in.

Personally, I’m now starting to realize the dangers of majoring in a career I am not passionate about.

Luckily for me, it’s not too late.

I came out of high school with a passion for animals, more specifically dogs.

Since a young age I’ve been a dog lover; my family and I traveled through and lived in 13 states over 3 years in a 38’ fifth wheel with four dogs.

These dogs were my life. From the age of six until my junior year of high school, I had always dreamed of being a veterinarian.

Once my senior year was over, I was lost in terms of what I wanted to do for the rest of my years.

When people choose their careers they are sometimes blinded by money and choose the paper trail.

Working 8 hours a day 5 times a week at something that makes you miserable is not the way you live life to the fullest.

A lot of my family members were accountants, and I knew that it was a rewarding career, so I blindly followed a path I’m now realizing I have no passion for.

Don’t make the mistake I did. Choose your career path for yourself, and if you see no passion in your major, change it.

The more I ponder what I can do with an accounting degree and what my daily activities would consist of, the more I’m regretting my decision.

The daily work of an accountant involves sitting in an office for a majority of your time analyzing the company budget, answering phone calls, compiling and analyzing financial information, and explaining billing invoices and accounting policies.

No offense to accountants, but I don’t think that career fits me.

I’m beginning to question if it’s possible to find your passion by learning about it in a classroom or not.

Take the time to weigh out your options and choose a career that matches your personality.

You will be glad you did.