By Ethan Ball

In college, credit cards can be a dangerous solution to fix a financial problem.

You go to your nearest McDonalds, spend $6 on a meal, and flush it down with a $5 drink from Starbucks. You don’t even exchange money; just swipe your plastic card.

The average U.S. household with debt carries $15,609 in credit card debt. In total debt, U.S. consumers owe $712 billion to credit card companies.

This is a dangerous way to live if you’re not on top of your finances.

For a businessman flying frequently, or a real estate mogul spending large amounts of money, a credit card might be the way to go.

Some airlines offer rewards called frequent flier miles. For example, Frontier Airlines’ reward program offers a free round-trip domestic ticket for every 20,000 miles you acquire.

For large spenders, if you apply for a TD Cash Visa Credit Card and are accepted, you’ll receive $200 cash back after you spend at least $1,500 in the first 90 days of opening an account.

If you’re a college student living on Ramen noodles and couch change, a credit card might not be your best decision.

A full 35% of your FICO credit score is based on payment history. No matter the circumstance, do yourself a favor and ensure you have your payment in on time.

However, one may get a credit card in order to build a good credit score.

If you can’t afford to pay with cash, what makes you think you’ll be able to live soundly with spending money that isn’t yours?