By Angela Lingg

Angela Lingg/Collegian - Shaqurella Collins, Houston, Texas, nails a landing in long jump during a meet on Feb. 2 in Crete, Nebraska.

The Hutchinson Community College track team competed at Doane College in Crete, Nebraska on Feb. 6.

The men and women’s team picked up six more qualifiers for Nationals.

In the second running event of the day, the Lady Dragons won the women’s 4×800 meters and also qualified for nationals with a time of 10 minutes and 15 seconds.

The team consisted of Leah Nelson, Wellington, Madison Pollock, Winfield, Katy Spencer, Andale, and Keagan Davis, Wichita.

Danielle Johnson, Buhler, was the only other qualifier for the women, and she qualified in the weight throw with a toss of 14.21 meters.

Her throw is the third best in HCC indoor track history.

Paige Houston, Midwest City, Oklahoma, who already qualified for nationals, won the women’s shot put with a throw of 12.72 meters.

Nelson ran a 1 minute 41.73 second 600 meters, and missed the national qualifying mark by .04 seconds.

However, her time was the third fastest time in HCC indoor track history.

On the men’s side, Deonta Richardson, Hillsboro, Texas, was a double qualifier in long jump and triple jump.

Richardson finished third in long jump with a jump of 6.98 meters and second in triple jump with a jump of 13.93 meters.

Zack Skimbo, McAlester, Oklahoma, qualified for nationals in the men’s high jump with a jump of 6 feet 7 inches and he finished in fourth.

The final qualifier for the men was Eli Miller, Wamego, in the men’s weight throw.

Miller threw 49 feet 11 inches.

HCC also competed on Feb. 12 at WSU in a triangular meet with Cowley and Butler, two schools they will see again this weekend at Region VI at Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg, Kansas.

HCC did not take a full team to the meet and did not qualify anyone for nationals.

However, HCC won both the men and women’s 800-meter race.

Nelson won the women’s 800 meter in 2 minutes 27.84 seconds which was the sixth fastest time for HCC indoor.

Lorenzo Castaneda, Harlingen, Texas, won the men’s 800 meter in 2 minutes 2 seconds.

HCC will be competing against all the Kansas junior colleges on Friday and Saturday Feb. 19 and 20.