By Angela Lingg

Angela Lingg/Collegian - Orser Rodriguez, Harlingen, Texas, running the 1000-meter run during the Crete, Nebraska meet on Feb. 6.

The HCC track team competed at the Region VI Track Meet at Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg, Kansas, on Feb. 18-20.

The men’s team finished sixth in the region, with 54 points. Junior Joseph, Wichita, broke HCC’s men’s weight throw record with a throw of 58 feet, 5 inches.

Joseph is already qualified for nationals and is currently ranked sixth in the nation.

He finished second in the Region.

The men qualified three more runners for nationals.

Stein Desir, Palm Beach, Florida, qualified in the 600 meters with a time of one minute 22 seconds.

He finished in third and also ran the third-fastest time in HCC history.

Forest Dreyer, Salina, qualified for nationals in the 5000 meters with a time of 16 minutes five seconds.

He finished fifth in the Region.

The final qualifier for nationals on the men’s side was Matt Snelling, Marion, in pole vault.

He cleared 13 feet 7.25 inches.

At this point, the men have qualified 14 athletes for nationals.

The women’s team finished eighth overall with 29 points.

Karis Parker, Wichita, broke her own school record again in the 60 meter hurdles.

Parker ran 8.99 seconds in preliminaries and in the finals she finished third with 9.00 seconds.

Shaquellra Collins, Houston, Texas, had a big day, qualifying for nationals in three different events.

She ran 25.50 seconds in the 200 meters and broke the school record.

In the 400 meters, she ran the second fastest time in HCC history with a time of 58. 46 seconds.

The third event she qualified in was the distance medley relay.

The other women to qualify in the medley relay were Madison Pollock, Winfield, Leah Nelson, Wellington, and Keagan Davis, Wichita.

The women currently have 13 women qualified for indoor nationals.

The HCC track team will have a few athletes — who are close to qualifying— compete in a last-chance meet later this week.

After that, all of the qualified athletes will compete at the NJCAA nationals, on March 4-5, in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.