By Branson Strasner

The new  anti-hero action movie ‘Deadpool’ appeals to a different kind of audience, introducing new fans to a  facet of Marvel Comics with which few are familiar.
The new anti-hero action movie ‘Deadpool’ appeals to a different kind of audience, introducing new fans to a facet of Marvel Comics with which few are familiar.

In recent years, super hero movies have seen a giant increase in popularity.

Franchises such as Iron Man, X-Men, and the Avengers have become annual blockbusters for their respective studios.

Twenty First Century Fox, which has produced numerous X-Men films, recently released Deadpool, a breakoff from the super hero movie formula.

On it’s opening night the film broke the record for highest grossing opening for an R-rated film.

Deadpool follows the story of ex-Special Forces operative Wade Wilson, who undergoes an experimental treatment to cure his terminal cancer.

While the treatment does cure his cancer, it leaves Wilson with a scarred complexion and the ability to heal faster than he can be hurt. And so he takes on the persona of Deadpool, trying to find the man who experimented on him.

This is definitely the funniest movie I’ve seen in a long time, with a unique taste of humor that is both smart and crass.

From Deadpool himself, with his iconic self-aware humor, to the exchanges between supporting characters, the movie never misses a beat with its jokes.

Despite the massive amount of jokes and one-liners, they aren’t obnoxious. The lines are delivered in a way that they don’t take away from serious moments, or overstay their welcome.

Deadpool is primarily an action/comedy, but in line with its Valentines Day release date, it can hold its own as an amazing love story.

The chemistry between Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool) and Morena Baccarin (Vanessa) is wonderful.

Watching them deal with Wade’s cancer is a heavy topic for a comedy to deal with, but the two actors pull it off extremely well.

The action scenes in Deadpool are astounding.

The fights are fast paced, intense, and hilarious. It’s reminiscent of a Saturday morning cartoon from the 1980s.

However, squeamish people may want to look away during a few scenes.

While Deadpool is an amazing film, its humor may not appeal to everyone.

The jokes are a blend of sex humor, puns, one-liners, and references to other franchises. If any of those sound good to you, I highly recommend taking the time to see Deadpool.