By Branson Strasner
Melinda Dome/Collegian
Due to ISIS’ growing power in the Middle East, millions of people have fled their homes in search of better lives.

Refugees have flocked mainly to Europe, however some wish to come to the United States.

Whether or not you believe that our country should host refugees, these people are in need.

Some in the U.S. feel that the refugees should be refused because there is a chance they could be agents for ISIS simply because they are from the Middle East.

The screening process for refugees is extremely in depth. It would be easier for a terrorist to enter the country with a passport, real or fake.

People arguing against accepting refugees have shown how xenophobic our country has become.

The United States used to be known as a melting pot, with people from many different cultures coming together.

Now, we don’t want to help people simply because there is a small chance they could be a terrorist plotting an attack on our nation.

The United States should step up and help the refugees.

Bringing in these people would help diversify our nation even further and show the rest of the world that we aren’t in it for the money or oil.

The other reason is simply because it’s the right thing to do. These people are being forced out their homes, killed, or worse.

If the United States were to turn a blind eye to the suffering of refugees, it would set a horrible example for the rest of the world. It’s time for the U.S. to be a leader.