By Shelby Horton

Dear Shelby:

I recently cheated on my boyfriend who lived in another town, for a guy here. I thought the guy here wanted to be with me, so I broke up with my boyfriend. But it turned out I was just a one-night stand for the other guy. I lost my boyfriend. What do I do now?

Dear Regretful,

You started out with what appeared to be a small, long distance relationship which came undone. It’s a big responsibility. Then you got yourself into a bit of mess. You may be wanting to get back with your ex-boyfriend, but this is not a good idea.

For one, you betrayed his trust and that is hard thing to regain once it’s been broken. Plus if you were willing to cheat on him once, it probably means you aren’t as committed to him as you think you were.

My best advice is to step back from the situation and try out the single life. Get to know yourself better, and come to terms with your mistakes, then work on making yourself better.

Dear Shelby,

When I went to Walmart the other day to purchase condoms, I happened to stop and see a box of Plan B on the shelves. I decided to pick it up and read the back of it out of curiosity. A pharmacy employee came up to me and began to berate me about possibly killing my unborn child. I’m use to getting funny looks because I am a girl purchasing condoms, but this experience was new to me. What should I have done?

Dear Harassed,

A Walmart employee should not have approached you in such a disrespectful way, and prejudged your actions. Even if you were purchasing Plan B, if the product is on their shelves it means they’re planning on selling it.

If an employee harasses you for taking charge of your own body, report them to the management. Plan B is a controversial item to some because they view it as an abortion pill.

However, according to the National Institutes of Health and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, pregnancy begins when the fertilized egg implants in the lining of woman’s uterus.

When a woman consumes the pill, within 72 hours of having sex, it usually prevents the fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus.

So the pill is used to prevent a pregnancy before it begins.

But please don’t feel ashamed for taking charge of your safety by buying condoms; feel proud that you’re taking care of yourself.

Dear Shelby,

Have you heard about a guy running around on campus, groping girls? What do I do if this happens to me?

Dear Concerned,

If a guy touches you in a way that you don’t want to be handled, a swift kick to the family jewels should end that behavior.

But seriously, report the incident to HCC campus security immediately and give a detailed description of the guy.

To prevent this from happening we must tell security so they’re able to catch him and make him face the consequences, as outlined in the HCC’s sexual harassment policy, (http://www.hutchcc.edu/catalog/policy/?id=85).