By Angela Lingg

The Region VI cross country meet was held Oct. 31 on an overcast morning on Johnson County Community College’s campus.

The course was soggy from showers from the day before and the course was decorated with fallen colorful leaves.

The men started off the day with a fine performance.

They were led by Orser Rodriguez, Harlingen, Texas, who finished 15th overall with an 8K time of 27:01.

Close behind was Forrest Dreyer, Salina, with a time of 27:19 which was good enough for 18th-place.

The other runners who figured into the scoring were Mark Meyer, Wichita, 27:48, Hunter Nance, Wichita, 28:28, and Lorenzo Castaneda, Harlingen, Texas, 28:44.

The men finished fourth in the Region and third in the Jayhawk West Conference behind Butler and Barton.

The men went into the meet ranked 17th in the nation, but are likely to be ranked higher after beating higher ranked teams.

The women’s race followed the men’s race.

After several struggles throughout the season, the women finished in a disappointing 9th-place.

They were led by Katy Spencer, Andale, who finished in 35th-place with a 5K time of 21:36.

The other runners to finish into the scoring were Angelica Soria, Topeka, 22:01, Angela Lingg, Goddard, 22:08, Keagan Davis, Wichita, 22:18, and Jessica Yenni, 23:29.

The HCC men’s cross country team will compete at the NJCAA National Cross Country Meet on Saturday, Nov. 15, in Fort Dodge, Iowa.