Melinda Dome/Collegian
Melinda Dome/Collegian

By Rachel Swafford

If you have to get lost somewhere, the best place might be to get lost in a good book.

Cuddle up with some coffee, a blanket, and lose yourself in the pages.

A great book for this occasion would be “Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl.”

As the name implies, it was written by Anne Frank. It is her personal diary and contains events that happened in her life while hiding out from the Nazis during World War II, in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Anne hid from the Nazis in a secret annex above an office building with her mother, father, and sister, Margot.

Joining them was the van Pels family, and a man named Fritz Pfeffer.

The families were able to hide out in the secret annex for two entire years before being found and taken to Nazi concentration camps.

Throughout her diary, Anne explains how hard it is having to live in constant fear and anxiety. But somehow she is also able to keep her happy spirit.

While hiding in the annex, Anne and Peter van Pels found chemistry happening between the two of them and built a bond that was seemingly unbreakable.

Being a Jewish person during World War II wasn’t easy at all. With Adolf Hitler in power, seizing and murdering millions of Jews during the years of the war, times were very tough.

Anne’s diary paints a vivid picture of how things were back in Nazi-controlled areas of Europe.

Just when you think you are having it too tough here in the United States, pick up a book like this and take a reality break.

Then thank God for the opportunities you have here.

Views: 65