By Amaelle Caron

Dear males of Hutchinson Community College, I would like to remind you that the women you see every day are human beings.

Yes, we are very pretty, however that doesn’t mean you have to show your interest in us like a howler monkey, looking at a banana.

Cat-calling was a thing in the 70’s, but the meaning was different. Men used to whistle at ladies, in the street because they looked elegant.

Today, you guys just whistle because she has a good booty or because you are trying to appear like a man in front of your friends.

I have been cat-called at since school started. I don’t like it. I don’t like that people, some guys, think that is OK to do that.

A guy tried to get my number and talked to my friend to try to get it when I said no.

He told her that I needed someone to take care of me, someone who will treat me right. Truth is I talked to him for a whole minute.

My point is when a girl says no, it means no.

And let’s be realistic; you don’t know someone just by looking at them. I don’t believe that you can want to be with someone just by looking at him or her.

You need to talk to someone to know him or her.

Also, think about it, the person you are cat-calling has a family, and how would you react if someone were acting the way you are with your sister? Or even your mother?

You’d be pissed, right? Then don’t do it to others.

Cat-calling is not the best way to get a woman’s attention. Do you really think that’s going to make them attracted to you?

I am going to give you some advice. If you see a pretty girl in the hallway or outside, don’t cat-call her. Please. Just don’t.

Just smile at her, don’t ask for her number or say “What’s up baby?” Because she’s not your baby.

The thing is, being cat- called doesn’t make me feel special. It doesn’t make me feel wanted. I don’t want to talk with someone who treats me that way.

Because if you think it is OK to do it, then I don’t want to have anything to do with you.

And it is a very embarrassing situation for most of us girls because we do not know how to react.

We do not know how you are going to react if we say no.

There are hundreds of girls every year who are being harassed and are victims of sexual abuse on campuses across the U.S.

Maybe you did have good intentions when you tried to approached her. But don’t be that guy.

However, if you are looking for someone to have fun with, there is plenty of ways to do it, like dating apps.

You can try Tinder, Grinder, Ok Cupid, and even Yik Yak.

But still — give some respect to the ladies.