By Angela Lingg

Team USA, the winning team in the Dorm Olympics, maneuver a hulu hoop through their linked circle,  attempting to move it over each teammate.
Team USA, the winning team in the Dorm Olympics, maneuver a hulu hoop through their linked circle, attempting to move it over each teammate.

The Dorm Olympics brought some friendly competition to Gowan’s stadium Wednesday evening.

Several teams, each representing the hall they live in, came together to participate in some creative games. One of the events consisted of a whole team weaving a spoon tied to a long string through their pants and shirts as a team. A women’s team sporting leggings found this event particularly challenging.

Other games consisted of a pool-noodle throw, a marshmallow throw, a 20m leap frog race, and finally a race with three members from each team all squeezed into their own hula hoop, running across the football field.

Each team was scored according to their placing in each event, and the team with the lowest score won. The winners of the 2015 dorm Olympics were the patriotic, bandana‑wearing, team USA, from Elland West 3rd floor. They were a women’s team lead by the RA Katy Spencer, Andale, who was also on the winning team in last year’s Dorm Olympics.

The second place team, team Rage, was a men’s team from Kent.

“It doesn’t matter who wins or loses, as long as we win,” said Jacob Falder, Lincoln, a member of Team Rage. After the final results were announced, he graciously accepted Second Place. “They really did great,” said Falder. “They really worked hard for it.”

Nick Fnavely, Ark City, also on Team Rage said he believed the girls won due to favoritism. However, he said that his team did an excellent job in the noodle throw, an event that he participated in.

Team USA was awarded shiny plastic gold medals for their First Place finish. Team member Katy Spencer, Andale, said the last event, the hula hoop run, was their finest event of the evening.

“We had blood, sweat and tears,” said Spencer about the hula hoop relay, where Kelcee Thompson, Springdale, Arkansas, slid into the finish line.

“We don’t slide into DMs, we slide into finish lines,” said Thompson.

Team USA plans to proudly display their hard‑ earned medals. Those medals will no doubt someday serve as a reminder of a fun evening filled with laughter and games on the football field at HCC.

Views: 47