By Shelby Horton

The presidential race is the most publicized and watched political campaign in America. However, the presidential race is not off to a good start, with the first official candidate being U.S Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas.

While it’s great to see a Hispanic candidate running for one of the most prestigious positions in the government, Cruz is everything in a candidate that is not desirable to a Hispanic-American or to any U.S citizen.

Born from immigrant parents, his father from Cuba and his mother from Ireland, and a Canadian immigrant, himself, Cruz maintains that illegal immigrants should be deported.

He says we should build a bigger wall in order to keep immigrants out.

He hopes to triple the size of the U.S. Border Patrol, while allowing no path to citizenship for the 1.65 million illegal immigrants currently living in the state of Texas.

Not only has Cruz taken a strong stance against giving opportunity for illegal immigrants to find the path to citizenship, he also is against people protecting themselves. He opposes contraceptives for both women and men, ranging from condoms to birth control pills.

He believes that these items are equivalent to abortion, and supports companies that refuse to provide birth control for their female staff members.

Cruz also voted no on reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act, and continues to oppose giving marriage equality to gay couples.

Cruz opposes Obamacare. He promoted a congressional government shutdown in an attempt to repeal the Affordable Health Care Act.

To remind Congress of how much he is opposed to Obamacare, he presented a 21-hour filibuster speech.

On that occasion, he mocked Obamacare by reading Dr. Seuss’ “Green Eggs and Ham,” and impersonating Darth Vader.

In his attempt to make Obamacare appear unreasonable, he instead showed an entire country how to waste a Harvard education. He did this, though some of his fellow Republicans decided to opt for a reform instead.

Ironically, after announcing his plans to run for the presidency, Cruz announced he would be signing up for Obamacare.

He explained that his wife would be taking leave of her job while he runs for presidency.

They had previously received their insurance from his wife’s job. For the remainder of the campaign, they will be on Obamacare.

This is one of the most hypocritical moves a Republican can make. However, Cruz attempted to justify his actions by stating that Obamacare was forced upon him.

This statement was later proven false. Cruz now says he will be search for another insurance provider.

He has become a joke for many Americans. On the day he announced his plans to run for the presidency, potential voters flocked to Twitter to pummel him.

Voters criticized Cruz’s views on education, economy, civil rights and immigration.

Some Twitter users have nicknamed him as “Sarah Palin’s younger brother,” or created sarcastic slogans for him.

Now that is time well spent.