By Mitchell Garett

Debate and forensics is an extremely good class to take during college. It teaches you confidence, the ability to speak fluently, and speak under pressure.

Many consider debate and forensics to be the most important class to take for getting a job, because it helps in the interviewing process.

The debate team at Hutchinson Community College has been doing well recently, brining attention to both our school and our students.

At the last two tournaments they attended, the team won over 30 individual awards, and qualified all 11 members of the team for nationals.

HCC went up against larger schools like the University of Texas, and Kansas State University, and still managed to take some major awards home.

On Mar 7, the team attended a tournament in Tyler, Texas, at Tyler Junior College, the American Forensics Association District 3 Regional Tournament.

At that event, the team won 12 awards and qualified 9 members for nationals.

Paul Poppe, Beloit, won second in communication analysis. Shay Scott, from Bellville, took second in persuasive.

John Colclazier, Greensburg, and Rachel Barlow, Inman, both took third in duo interpretation.

Madison Tucker, from Meridan, got third in after dinner speaking. Lastly, Autumn Masters, from Wichita, took the first place medal for oral interpretation.

At a tournament at Bethel College, on February 21, the team earned 19 awards. They also took “Top Community College” and finished first place as a team in their division.

The rest of the team got their national bids. Evan Habluetzal took first in informative speaking, while Kaitlynn Holman was third in dramatic interpretation.

On April 1, the team left for the national level tournament, in Portland, Oregon.

Kenny Hopkinson, the HCC Debate coach was excited while loading the bus.

“We’re excited to go, and we have had a really good year.” Hopkinson said. “This is the second biggest event, with the second biggest team we have ever had in HCC history. We’re looking forward to some good results.”