By Zeke Willcox

James Teeter/Collegian - Visitors to Kick Butts Day discuss anti-smoking materials at one of the information tables.

The Hutchinson Community College student government association hosted its second annual “Kick Butts Day” with interactive and informational table displays in the foyer of the Parker Student Union on March 18.

Attendees were attracted to various displays that were set up around the foyer, as well as by the music being played by a local DJ.

About 12 table displays were placed about the union.

The purpose of the displays were to warn students about the hazards of tobacco, as well as other useful information regarding the college’s smoking policy and the locations and uses of the smoking shelters on campus

HCC freshman Kelsey Rouser was pleased with the opportunity to send letters to U.S. Sen. Jerry Moran and Gov. Sam Brownback about making HCC a tobacco-free campus.

“I’m all about no smoking and avoiding drugs,” she said. “I really appreciated the petition display.”

One of the favored displays, according to HCC students, were the sets of pig lungs.

Two sets of lungs were set up to air pumps allowing students to step on a pedal to pump air into the organs. One set of lungs was healthy and smoke-free. The other set, black and sickly, represents the unhealthy consequences of smoking.

HCC student Derek Sprunger, Inman, said the inflatable lungs were a helpful and visual representation.

“ I liked the inflatable lungs,” he said. “It really shows you what happens to your lungs if you smoke.”

Another table displayed substances found in cigarettes.

These included mothballs, lighter fluid, hair dye, and rat poison.

Diego Esparza, SGA president, was happy with turnout.

“It was more successful than last year,” Esparza said. “There were more people. I’m very pleased. ”

Esparza said that an encouraging amount of people signed the pledge wall to either commit to being tobacco free, or to at least try to commit to become tobacco free.

Megan Bartley, SGA public relations officer, said that several lives were impacted for the better.

“Our displays really got to some of the students that came,” she said.

“Some people signed the wall to commit to becoming completely tobacco free.”