By Zeke Wilcox

DaKota Hilburn/Collegian - Smoking shelters on campus currently have no seating; there are plans for fold-down seats to be installed.

Hutchinson Community College is soon to add three more smoking shelters to its campus.

Don Rose, director of facilities, said the new shelters would be placed at various locations around campus.

One is to be placed for easy access for students and faculty in the Industrial Center, Ade-Wifco Welding Center, and Shears Technology Center.

Christina Long, registrar, said they will be finished before March 18.

Another shelter is to be placed in the northeast corner of the new Fire Science building parking lot, on East 4th Street.

The last one is to be placed near the Davis Hall and the Peel Center off of Walnut near Main Street.

A cement pad will be poured before the smoking shelter is installed near Davis Hall.

Rose said all the shelters will soon have awnings and red, fold-up benches.

The fold-up benches are to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act and allow more room for a wheelchair or any other device used by a disabled person.

Each awning, likewise, is to provide more protection for any individual using the shelters.

The welding students at HCC will be building the awnings.

Long is concerned that the smoking shelters on campus are not being used to their full potential.

“It is hard to insure that students and faculty are aware of the policies regarding smoking and the locations of the smoking shelters.”

She believes that more smokers should make use of the shelters. Some cafeteria workers seem to make the best use of the shelters, she said.

Leah Robinson, assistant director of Dining Services, said the only reason she does not use it, is the weather.

“The shelters face north,” Robinson said, “and sometimes the wind blows in your face. On cold days, I’ll use my car.”

Robinson is careful about not leaving a mess.

“I never throw a cigarette butt on the ground,” she said.