By Shelby Horton

Shelby Horton/Collegian - Three science fiction novels, “Empty Space,” “Second Signal,” and “End Transmission” at the book show.

Talk Nerdy to Me was an event held in McPherson on Feb. 21 at The Bookshelf and Hidden Closet bookstore.

It allowed patrons to come and meet some local sci-fi and fantasy authors. Patrons bustled through to meet authors, buy books, and have their personal copies signed by the writers.

The authors that were featured included Audra Trosper; author of “The Dragon Call” series, Susanne Lambdin, author of “The Dead Hearts” novels and Tracy Dunn, author of “Alex and the Immortals.”

The authors were excited to be there as they happily signed books, and explained thier plot lines to newcomers, who found themselves interested in the books.

Another author who was advertising her artful covers was Audra Crebs, author of “The Esoteric Design.” Crebs’ book has had many positive reviews, and is creating a growing fan base as time goes on. She was also at the event promoting her sequel to “The Esoteric Design,” that is currently in the proof-reading stages.

Crebs fans are excited about the fact that she will be continuing the story from the cliff hanger ending of the first book.

Shelby Horton/Collegian - (From left) Melinda Dome, Marion, and Audra Trosper, and Audra Crebs, both of central Kansas,  enjoy conversation, cookies and candy during the “Talk Nerdy to Me” book-signing and book show event at a book store in McPherson.  A similar event could come to Hutchinson, if a book store invites them.
Shelby Horton/Collegian - (From left) Melinda Dome, Marion, and Audra Trosper, and Audra Crebs, both of central Kansas, enjoy conversation, cookies and candy during the “Talk Nerdy to Me” book-signing and book show event at a book store in McPherson. A similar event could come to Hutchinson, if a book store invites them.

A Hutchinson Community College alumnus, Suzanne Dome, was among the authors. She was discussing her sci-fi novels. Dome was celebrating the re-releases of her series “The Scrounger Trilogy,” while selling fresh copies of her books.

“It was a great first event for that particular book store, “Dome said, “I feel like we had a lot of fun and gave the authors an opportunity to consign their books.”

Most the authors that were featured in “Talk Nerdy to Me” were self-published authors, who pay out of pocket for having their books published.

The authors themselves must pay everything from the marketing, consignment fees, and editing. But special events like the ones hosted by bookstores, help to get the word out about these self-made authors. The event has not been held in Hutchinson, but the authors are hopeful it will be brought into the city of Hutchinson soon.

“I find myself answering all kinds of odd writing, genre, and research questions when I talk to the public, ” Dome said, “ Also it’s nice when someone comes by to tell you they loved reading the book.”