By Lariena Nokes

There is a new opportunity for students who are business majors.

Matt Smith, business teacher, has founded and is sponsoring the HCC Business Club.

“I am excited about the experiences and possibilities Business Club will provide for students who participate,” Smith said. “The possibility to take lessons out of the classroom and out into the real world is awesome.”

The club had its first meeting on Feb. 4 in the Justice Theater in the Shears Technology Center.

It was casual and friendly; it featured pizza and soda pop.

Business instructor Dan Naccarato presented information about “HutchWins!” a group promoting the sales tax issue to be on the April 7 city ballot.

The proposed sales tax would add about one-third of a cent tax to each dollar spent in Hutchinson stores. The money raised would be used to help finance the Sports Arena expansion and upgrades, estimated to cost $29 million.

Students at the meeting volunteered to help with voter registration on campus and to inform HCC students about future projects that would benefit from voter support. “Business Club will work with the business culture in Hutchinson, being a positive force in local issues and collaborating with the business community,” Naccarato said. “You have got to take a leap of faith and take risks like this that improve our quality of life.”

Smith encouraged the students who attended the informational meeting for the business club to embrace the opportunity.

“You can be a part of Business Club and make this happen,” he said.

The Sports Arena proposal includes additions to the north and south sides of the building.

The northern addition will house two new practice gyms and a weight room. The south addition would house a new main entrance and ticketing areas, along with more restrooms.

The project includes new landscaping and trees for the parking lots, as well as pedestrian plazas on the east and west sides.