By Bailey Terry

Darriell Rhodes/Collegian - Sydney Benoit, Smith Center, keeps the ball away from her opponents as she looks for a teammate to pass. The Lady Dragons beat Garden City, 67-39.

The Lady Dragons basketball team faced the Broncbusters of Garden City on February 4 at home and won, 67-39. The Lady Dragons improved their record to 24-0 overall and 10-0 in the Jayhawk West Conference and remain at No. 1.

The Dragons also hold the title of having the best defense in the Jayhawk West.

This game marks the 114th consecutive victory in the Sports Arena for the Lady Dragons.

Kalani Purcell, Hamilton, New Zealand, broke the record for the most rebounds in Lady Dragon history with 639. Playing her 60th game at HCC, she played 10 fewer games than the previous record holder to achieve this astounding record.

Purcell and Cynthia Petke, Yaounde, Cameroon, combined, scored 40 of the 67 points and 30 of the 44 rebounds.

The top three scores of the game were Purcell, Petke, and LeFebvre.

Purcell had 22 points and 14 rebounds, while Petke had 18 points and 16 rebounds.

Clemence LeFebvre, St. Martin, France, had 18 points.

The Lady Dragons hit 26 of 55 shots, went 3 for 10 from beyond the arc, and made 12 of 13 free throws taken.

The Lady Dragons outrebounded the Broncbusters 44-22.

With the Dragons never trailing in the game, their biggest lead of the game was 36 points.

The Lady Dragons traveled to Dodge City on Jan. 31 and beat the Conquistadors 92-57.

Purcell scored 24 points, while shooting 10 for 13. She also had six rebounds and five steals.

She moved up in the record books for career points scored, 911, and is now in 7th place and tied for fifth place for career field goals, 368.

Petke had her 10th double-double of the season with 20 points and 14 rebounds.

LeFebvre ended the game with 14 points, while Sydney Benoit, Smith Center, ended with nine points. Benoit also had a career high of nine assists, as Alyx Bloom, Clay Center, had a career-high of eight points.

The Lady Dragons finished the game five for nine on three-pointers, were 21 for 32 from the free throw line, and had 24 assists.

Hutch also had the advantage on rebounds with 44 to Dodge City’s 30.

Within the first eight minutes, the Lady Dragons had a lead of at most 13 points, but the Conquistadors were able to stick with them and pull within nine points, 21-12.

Even though Dodge City was close the Lady Dragons challenged them with an 11-3 run. The lead grew to 32-15 with just seven minutes remaining.

With a Petke three-point play, the Dragons lead grew to 43-28, to end halftime.

As the second half opened, the Conquistadors responded to the Dragons past run, with a run of their own, 10-2. Dodge City was closing the gap, the score now being 45-38.

The Dragons lengthened the gap with a 17-4 run, making the score 62-42 with just under 13 minutes to play.

The Dragons outscored to Conquistadors 47-16 in the second half.

Hutch will play again Feb. 7 at Butler. The tipoff will be at 5:30 p.m.