By Bailey Terry

Jessica Green/HCC Sports Information - Austin Budke, Beloit, takes it through defenders to attempt a layup during the Cloud County game on Jan. 24. The Blue Dragons prevailed in that game, by a score of 77-74.

The Blue Dragon basketball team traveled to Pratt on Jan. 21 and beat the Beavers 103-90. It made their record 16-4 overall and 3-3 in the Jayhawk West Conference.

Bashier Ahmed, Bronx, N.Y., had a career-high of 36 points and 12 rebounds, scoring his sixth double-double of the season.

Ahmed made 13 of 20 field goal attempts, along with four three-point goals. In just four games he has score 110 points.

Four of the Blue Dragons scored in double figures against Pratt. Austin Budke, Beloit, scored 16 points, he went six for six from the free throw line, and went five for seven for field goals.

Keanu Pinder, Perth, Australia, scored 14 points and had eight rebounds, while shooting six for nine.

DeShawn Freeman, Rocky Mount, N.C., had 12 points and nine rebounds.

Akbar Hoffman, Newark, N.J., and Che Bob, Charlotte, N.C., both scored nine points.

Zach Winter, Andover, had six assists without a turnover. Over the last three games, Winter has had 23 assists to zero turnovers.

All together the Blue Dragons were 40 of 75 for field goals, eight for 17 for three-pointers, and 15 of 22 from the free throw line.

Darriell Rhodes/Collegian - In a Jan. 17 game against Colby, the Blue Dragons demonstrated a swarming defense in the paint, as a Colby Trojan tried to put up a shot. The Dragons won, 101-70.

Just four minutes into the game, the Dragons trailed the Beavers 13-3. A few minutes later, they were slowly closing the lead. Eight minutes into the game, the trailed 19-11. The Dragons went on a 12-point run over the next four minutes completely diminishing the lead the Beavers once had. With just over eight minutes to play in the half, it was tied 27-27.

Then the Dragons went on a 15-5 run, then with a Pinder three-pointer with just one second remaining the Dragons lead 42-32.

As the half opened, the Beavers made a dunk, which sparked the Dragons on yet another run of 10 points over a two-minute span. The Dragons then led the Beavers 52-34.

The Dragons largest lead was 23 points. The Dragons outscored the Beavers 61-58, shooting 73% for three pointers.

After a three-game losing streak, the Blue Dragons are now on a three-game winning streak.

HCC beat Cloud County, 77-74 at home on the fourth annual Pink-Out Night on Jan. 24. The Dragons are now 17-4 overall and 4-3 in the Jayhawk West conference.

Freeman achieved his ninth double-double of the season, scoring 18 points and pulling down 11 rebounds. He had a career best of four blocked shots.

Ahmed posted his seventh double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds.

Bob came off the bench to score 14 points, three rebounds and two blocked shots.

Budke ended the game with 12 points and four rebounds.

Hoffman score 11 points with two made three-pointers.

The Dragons had a season high of 11 blocked shots. All together, the Dragons were 23 for 62 overall, five for 17 for three-pointers, and 20-32 from the free throw line.

They also out-rebounded the Beavers 43-38.

The Dragons started off a little slow giving Cloud the advantage, 7-2 just three minutes into the game. The Dragons were then able to take the lead a few minutes later, 11-9. The Beavers ended up tying the game at 11 until the Dragons went on a 10-3 run, building their lead to 21-14 with just eight minutes to play.

Cloud answered with a run to tie the game. There were seven lead changes and six ties in the first half. At halftime the score was 35-35.

Both teams went point for point; neither team ever being ahead by more than five points during the second half.

Over the last minute, the Dragons were down four points, but were finally able to tie the game. With just half a second left, Ahmed tipped in a missed basket by Budke and was fouled. Ahmed then made the free throw, to make a three-point play to win the game for the Dragons.

The Blue Dragons are gearing up to go back on the road.

On Saturday, Jan. 31, the Dragons are to go west in chilly weather to play the Dodge City Community College Conquistadors.