By Shelby Horton

The First Place photo, of “Darlin,” a quarter-horse owned by KaKota Hilburn. The image was made at sunset, in the horse’s pasture.

The Hutchinson Community College’s photography club, known as the Snapdragons, recently hosted a photo competition.

Members and other participants each submitted three photos.

Journalism and photography instructor Alan Montgomery, who is a sponsor for the Snapdragons, judged the contest.

First Place went to DaKota Hilburn, Long Island, for her photo of her horse at sunset, in a pasture.

Hilburn used a Nikon Coolpix L810 camera to capture her winning photo. She received a gift certificate for dinner at the Anchor Inn.

“I chose the picture of my horse because I love my horse and it was one of the best pictures I’ve ever taken,” Hilburn said.

“Beach, with Footprints,” by Grace Gooch, Wichita, won Second Place in the contest.

Snapdragons activities have helped her improve her photography skills, while having fun and meeting new people, she said.

“I’ve made a lot of friends because of this club,” said Hilburn, “It changed my outlook on the college, and has helped me enjoy my time here.”

The club will be going to Dillon Nature Center soon to get nature photos.

A trip is being planned to the gallery of National Geographic Photographer Jim Richardson, in Lindsborg.

For more information, email Montgomery at montgomerya@hutchcc.edu, or contact the club’s other sponsor, Amber Brawner, at brawnera@hutchcc.edu.