By Lizzie Kipp
Campus Editor
Email: thehutchinsoncollegian@gmail.com

In addition to the new president this year, Hutchinson Community College welcomed a new Vice President of Academic Affairs, Mel Whiteside.

Whiteside, who resides in Wichita, rolled onto campus this fall for his first year at HutchCC. He takes over for Tricia Paramore, who was promoted to HutchCC president after the retirement of Carter File earlier this year.

Before coming to Hutchinson, Whiteside was employed at Wichita State, specifically the Barton School of Business as the Executive Director for Career and Professional Development. Before that, he taught at Butler Community College for eight years and was their Dean of STEM – Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.

Now, Whiteside’s responsibility as VP of Academic Affairs is to support the faculty at HutchCC and ensure they have whatever resources they need to give students the most out of their education. This can mean updating the curriculum, content development, or attending what seems to be about a million meetings per semester.

“I love working with college students, it’s very special,” he said. “I’m here to support all of our students, whether they’re face-to-face or online.”

Whiteside spoke highly of HutchCC, especially the unique, top-notch programs and knowledgeable faculty. His admiration for higher education is one of the many reasons he decided to become a Blue Dragon.

“I really believe in the mission of community colleges,” he said. “We offer lower tuition and excellent programs. I feel very blessed to be in this role.”

Whiteside also loves the community of Hutchinson in general, specifically the Kansas State Fair, the Cosmosphere, the Strataca and the NJCAA Tournament.

“It’s a neat city. The college is inviting and I feel like the community is the same way,” he said. “It just feels very welcoming to me.”

Whiteside also said he loves how supportive the community is of the college. He hopes to relocate to Hutchinson as soon as he and his wife are able and make a home for themselves here in town.

While Whiteside is invested in his career, he is also a big family man. He’s been married for 37 years and spends as much time with his children and grandchildren whenever he has the opportunity.

In his free time, he enjoys playing the drums – he plays in bands and explores different sounds whenever possible. He is also incredibly involved in his church back home.

While Whiteside is still a new face on campus, he cares to make a difference in the lives of students.

“If there’s anything we can do to make things better or support you, let me know or let someone know. We really do want our students to enjoy there time here,” he said.

Whiteside’s goal is to remain at HutchCC until he retires down the line.

“It’s been a really great experience for me, and everybody has been very helpful and kind. I can’t ask for much more than that,” he said.

Views: 94