By Hayden Hackney
Staff Writer
IG: @haydenmhackney

So many students and staff have seen and heard it. Constant drills and news reports regarding shooters on school grounds. From the beginning of elementary school all the way to college, people begin to wonder how the constant reminder of the unthinkable could affect people’s minds.

On Sept. 16, an active shooter drill shook the halls of Smith Science Center. The drill started at 10 a.m. and lasted about 10 minutes. Live blanks were fired to simulate real gunshots.

“It was a little scary,” said Tori Graf, a natural science lab technician. “You heard that first loud pop and you’re like, ‘What the heck is that?’”

Graf went on to mention how the atmosphere after the drill had a sense of tenseness that loomed over the building.

“You realize just how unsafe it could be sometimes,” Graf said.

It seems that with each blank shot in the science center, the presence of uncomfortableness only grew.

However, the active shooter drill was no surprise. HutchCC warned students and faculty days before, and allowed for students to be absent during.

“We should definitely give allowance for people who know that they can’t tolerate it,” said Taliatha Palmer, a psychology assistant professor.

Palmer went on to discuss the sadness of having to do active shooter drills in the first place.

“To me it feels like a rough experience to have to be reminded of all the time,” Palmer said.

Palmer then mentioned the possible difference in reactions throughout the college. The drill could raise anxiety and stress for some students and faculty, making this inconceivable nightmare closer to reality. While for others, this could lower stress and anxiety because they now feel just a little more prepared.

However, there is another angle to this story – the people who have been through the real trauma of a shooting.

“That could be a really debilitating experience, so I’m glad they gave us plenty of warning,” Palmer said.

Palmer’s suggestion would be to make those specific students really aware of what’s happening, and give them the opportunity to leave.

“In that case, the harms of the experience might really outweigh the benefits of the experience.” Palmer said.

This active shooter drill wasn’t the first, as there was one in August for faculty and staff, before students arrived. It won’t be the last either. The constant reminder of one of the most horrible nightmares can and has affected people, and it too will continue to do so.

If it has affected anyone, you can contact the HutchCC Student Success Center inside Parker Student Union.

Views: 639