Since 1999, National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) has been a month of creation for aspiring writers. It challenges writers to write 50,000 words in one month.

Early this month, NaNoWriMo released a statement about using Artificial Intelligence for the challenge. According to them, condemning the use of A.I. is classist and ableist. Which, as a group that is supposed to be supporting artists, is a wild thing to say. That’s practically saying that disabled and/or poor people are unable to create worthwhile art without outside help.

After the statement release, members of NaNoWriMo’s board resigned; Ellipsus, a sponsor and alternative to Google Docs, pulled their support; and community members are looking for alternatives to track their words. Unsurprisingly, releasing a statement that seems to support the use of generative A.I. in a group of creatives doesn’t end well.

It’s well documented that generative A.I. steals work from artists. How is condemning the use of A.I. classist when generative A.I. steals from the working class?

Multiple times within the past year, creative industries have gone on strike either for better protections against theft of their work or protections for their jobs.

The soul of art comes from humanity. Even if the story’s about aliens, or monsters, at its heart, it’s human. People have been creating things for centuries, whether it’s for the function of the hell of it. People make things. Other people enjoy those things. Centuries later, we’re still enjoying what’s been made.

Since generative A.I. art became popular, it’s become a problem for creators. People are willing to steal other’s work, tell them they shouldn’t bother creating because it’s not lucrative, then turn around and consume art. Movies, shows, music, and video games are a part of life and culture. Important parts, even.

Respect artists. They put in hours of work and share their pieces for everyone’s enjoyment. Don’t ruin that.

From The Hutchinson Collegian Editorial Board.

Views: 6