By Tatum James
Staff writer
thehutchinsoncollegian@gmail.com

Of the 30 years of coaching club teams, professional teams, and Blue Dragons, Hutchinson Community College soccer coach Sammy Lane has coached many incredible players.

HutchCC sophomore Kaitlyn Edwards is described as one of the elite players Lane has coached. Edwards has helped lead the soccer team to a 3-1-1 overall and 2-1-1 record in Jayhawk Conference play so far this season. With her leadership and determination for the team and game, the Hutchinson Community College soccer team is very fortunate to have her.

“She’s one of the best players I’ve ever coached, and I’ve coached a lot of good players,” Lane said. “With her skill, she really is a very, very good player.”

Edwards has been playing soccer for the majority of her life. Lane said that he’s coached Edwards since she was 10-years old. Many years of learning the different situations in the game has prepared her to be an immaculate player.

With Edwards being a sophomore, she has had to get used to playing with a different group of girls than last year. 

“It’s been a challenge for me finding a connection with a whole new midfield – but it’s been fine adjusting, all the girls are doing very well,” Edwards said. 

Lane compared a soccer midfielder to a basketball point guard. Their role is to get the ball to the forward to be able to score the goals. They also have to be ready to defend when the ball gets back to the other team. 

“We play a field that is 120 yards long, and you’ve got to have a real desire to be very good at the position she does, because it does take an incredible amount of work,” Lane said.

“She’s got a real desire to win and so she’s very competitive that way.”

Last year, Edwards scored 13 goals and tallied 34 points. Out of the five games so far this season, Edwards has scored 5 goals and 11 points.

After Edwards finishes her time at Hutchinson Community College, she plans on playing at a four-year college. At this time, she is undecided on where she wants to continue playing. 

Views: 81